Brain Works Episode 5 starts with Dr. Shin and Dr. Hwang’s meeting in prison. Hwang was a neurosurgeon who gave too much morphine to seven of his patients, killing them.
Brain Works Episode 5 Highlights
- Dr. Shin (Jung Yong-Hwa) meets with Dr. Hwang, a neurosurgeon who killed seven patients with an overdose of morphine for fun and agrees to be his friend to obtain his brain.
- The detectives investigate the death of a man who falls off a building, leaving behind his daughter with speech difficulties and a bloody knife.
- Ji Yul is interrogated and shows delusions and visual hallucinations, leading Dr. Shin to diagnose her with psychotic bipolar disorder.
- Ji Yul’s mother opposes medical treatment, believing that a bad spirit caused her daughter to kill.
- The investigation reveals that Ji Yul’s mother belonged to a cult led by Madam Messenger, who brainwashed her and ordered the murder.
- The detectives use an MRI machine to print a picture of Ji Yul’s mind, which leads to the discovery of a mirror on the roof that shows Madam Messenger’s reflection.
- The investigation concludes with the arrest of Madam Messenger, who ordered the murder of Ji Yul’s mother and the man who fell off the building.
Brain Works Episode 5 Recap
Mystery and Suspense Unfold in the Areum Building
Dr. Shin wants to figure out why a psychopath who killed for fun did what he did, so he agrees to be his friend in exchange for his brain. A man falls off a building and dies, and his daughter Ji Yul is found on the roof with a bloody knife in her hand.
The detectives look into whether or not the father hurt the girl, but their theory doesn’t make sense. Detective Geum thinks the wife is the one who did it, but the dashboard camera in her car backs up her story.
Interrogation of Ji Yul: Conflicting Statements and Delusions
A detective is talking to a young girl named Ji Yul about how her father died. She says she wasn’t on the roof when her dad fell, but she looks scared when you ask if anyone else was there. She also says she saw the devil on the roof, and when asked about it, she gets angry. Later, a doctor says she has psychotic bipolar disorder, but her mother doesn’t agree.
She thinks her daughter was killed because of a bad spirit. Instead of going to a doctor, the mother, who has postpartum depression and is part of a cult, wanted an exorcism for her daughter. Before the exorcism could happen, the father, who wanted to see a doctor, was killed.
Uncovering the Truth Behind the Cult and the Murder
Dr. Shin and Detective Geum (Cha Tae-Hyun) go to Ms. Yang’s cult, where Madam Messenger, the leader, says she has no idea where the money for the exorcism ritual came from. Back at the police station, they think that Madam Messenger might have brainwashed Ji Yul, but Dr. Shin says that’s not possible because of Ji Yul’s condition.
They try a different way to find clues and use an MRI machine. They find a blurry picture of Ji Yul, which turns out to be Madam Messenger’s reflection in a mirror on the roof. The team finds proof that Madam Messenger had something to do with the death of Ji Yul’s mother and that she was involved in the case.
Let’s see the highlights of Brain Works Episode 4
The Investigation: Uncovering the Truth in Salvation and Heal Cult
Even though there is evidence that links Madam Messenger to the murder, Ms. Yang is determined to protect her. Even when she is given possible facts, she insists on calling Madam Messenger, who sends people to the police station to get Ms. Yang and Ji Yul.
The team realizes that Ms. Yang is dependent on the cult and suggests that she go through cognitive behavioral therapy to change her beliefs. Captain Seul and Detective Geum act as spies to find out more. Captain Seul joins the group and watches the ritual while posing as a rich person. Madam Messenger says she will drive him to the event.
The Fight Against Cult Brainwashing: Dr. Shin’s Quest to Save Ji Yul
Dr. Shin is interested in Ji Yul’s case because he had a similar illness when he was young and wants to help her. The group watches a video of a salvation ritual in which Madam Messenger beats a man with a whip. The assistant is worried about Ji Yul, and Madam Messenger is adamant that Ms. Yang needs to be helped by a whip. Detective Geum, who is paralyzed, has to go first during the ritual. By the end of the episode, he is on the table while Madam Messenger cracks a whip over him.
Have a look at the highlights of Brain Works Episode 3
Dr. Shin meets with Dr. Hwang and agrees to be his friend in exchange for his brain, leading to the arrest of Madam Messenger, who ordered the murder of Ji Yul’s mother and the man who fell off the building. Dr. Shin and Detective Geum uncover the truth behind the cult and the murder of Ji Yul’s mother and discover evidence that Madam Messenger had something to do with the case.