Season 2 of Shadow and Bone has officially concluded filming. We’ve updated our season 2 preview to include what new characters we can expect, story expectations, casting news, TUDUM’s season 2 sneak peek, and the Netflix release date in 2023.
To recap, the first season of the fantasy show, based on Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse series of books, premiered on Netflix on April 23rd, 2021. Ben Barnes, Jessie Mei Li, Archie Renaux, Freddy Carter, Amita Suman, and Kit Young were among the first season’s cast members.
Netflix Geeked, which will celebrate its first anniversary in April 2022, has shared some new images from the first season:
Shadow and Bone Season 2 were featured during Geeked Week on Netflix and TUDUM 2022
Before we continue with our full season 2 preview, we will first discuss the news from Netflix’s Geeked Week.
The conclusion of the second season’s filming has been confirmed, though the news was not particularly significant.
Several cast members discussed what to expect and confirmed that filming had concluded in the brief clip.
Jessie Mei Li, who portrays Alina Starkov, stated, “Season 2 of Shadow and Boen is now complete, and we cannot wait to share it with you.”
that’s a wrap on Season 2 of SHADOW AND BONE
— Netflix Geeked (@NetflixGeeked) June 6, 2022
At Netflix’s TUDUM event on September 24, our first look at the second season was revealed!
Shadow and Bone Season 2 Cast Detail
If you don’t have time to read the entire article, here are the six most important things you need to know about season 2:
- Season 2 will consist of eight episodes, with each episode lasting approximately an hour.
- Siege and Storm are anticipated to be followed by Season 2.
- According to reports, each episode of the show costs between $3,000,000 and $4,999,999.
- The second season is filmed between January and May of 2022.
- Anna Leong Brophy, Lewis Tan, Patrick Gibson, and Jack Wolfe have been cast in the production.
- Eric Heisserer will continue to serve as a showrunner for the second season.
- Joseph Trapanese will return for the second season as a composer.
- Sophie Holland, who handles casting for The Witcher and You on Netflix, is in charge of season 2’s casting.
- No release date or window for release has been established.
Shadow and Bone Season 2 Release Date Status
Although there is plenty of source material to come and we reported that the show had been in active development for quite some time, official renewal did not occur until Netflix’s Geeked Week, during which they make new announcements.
The renewal was accompanied by a video of the cast discussing the renewal (which was leaked the day before the official announcement – oops!).
On the renewal, Shawn Levy (who served as the show’s executive producer) stated:
“My colleagues at 21 Laps and I are ecstatic that audiences around the world can continue to explore the Grishaverse and revel in Shadow and Bone’s epic, original storytelling. The most enjoyable aspect of our jobs as producers is collaborating with creative partners who motivate us. Together, Leigh Bardugo and Eric Heisserer have created a world and pantheon of characters that have been embraced by fans around the world. We cannot wait to take the audience on the next wild ride…”
Beyond Shadow and Bone, Shawn Levy’s 21 Laps is currently negotiating an output deal with Netflix that has been expanded to include a first-look deal for all feature films, with ten in development.
As an aside, we’ve also heard rumors that a spin-off about the Crows, who played a pivotal role in the first season, could be in the works.
How successful was Shadow and Bone on Netflix?
According to Netflix, 55 million subscribers watched the show in the first 28 days. This ranks the program eighth among the most-watched English-language television programs of all time (at least according to released Netflix statistics).
This also corresponds with the collected top 10 data. It is currently ranked eighth for the number of points accumulated worldwide, behind Vincenzo but ahead of Snowpiercer, with a respectable 16,342 points. It also had the fourteenth largest opening day on Netflix since March 2020.
Netflix reports that the series reached number one in 79 countries.
Shadow and Bone fell off Netflix’s list of the top 50 global titles on May 30, 2021.
The show’s certified fresh rating once stood at 90%, but it has since dropped to 87%, while the audience score remains at 90%.
Shadow and Bone season 2 cast: Who is returning?
- Jessie Mei Li (Alina Starkov)
- Archie Renaux (Malyen Oretsev)
- Freddy Carter (Kaz Brekker)
- Amita Suman (Inej)
- Chris Young (Jesper Fahey)
- Ben Barnes (General Kirigan)
- Calahan Skogman (Matthias Helvar) has been elevated to series regular for the second season.
- Danielle Galligan (Nina Zenik) is now a series regular for the second season.
- For season 2, Daisy Head (Genya Safin) has been promoted to series regular.
These are the confirmed new characters Netflix is casting:
- Patrick Gibson as Nikolai Lantsov
- Anna Leong Brophy as Tamar Kir-Bataar
- Lewis Tan as Tolya Yul-Bataar
- Jack Wolfe as Wylan Hendriks
When will season 2 of Shadow and Bone premiere on Netflix?
Given the show’s extensive use of VFX and editing, it seems unlikely that the second season will be available on Netflix in 2022, given its production schedule.
If it does arrive in 2022, it will be very late in the year, but we do not anticipate this to be the case.
Our best estimate is that the second season of Shadow and Bone will return to Netflix in early 2023, but we’ll keep you posted.
How many Shadow and Bone seasons will be available on Netflix?
Currently, the show has only been renewed for a second season.
The author of the book series, Leigh Bardugo, has stated publicly that she wishes there were five seasons, stating, “There is so much story.”
Please let us know in the comments if you’re looking forward to the second season of Shadow and Bone arriving on Netflix. We’ll keep you updated as we learn more about the development of the second season.