Hulu’s cringe comedy show PEN15 began its first season in February of this year, and has since become a fan favourite. Erskine and Konkle star in the show, which was created by Erskine and Konkle with the help of Sam Zvibleman. It is set in the year 2000 and stars Erskine and Konkle as middle school versions of themselves.
Erskine and Konkle portray the awkwardness and frustrations of middle school life alongside actual young, middle school-aged actors, which adds to the overall humour and emphasises how the main characters feel like outsiders. Erskine and Konkle also appear in a short film about middle school life, which was directed by Erskine and Konkle.
After only a few of years after its first release, PEN15 has amassed a devoted following on social media as well as widespread critical acclaim (including some coveted Emmy nominations). Immediately following the conclusion of season 1, fans were eager to see what happened next in Maya and Anna’s everyday lives.
The second season was then released in September of 2020 — however it was only the first half of the season at the time of its release. Despite the fact that the rest of season 2 has yet to be revealed, viewers are already speculating about the specifics of a third season of the absurdly funny comedy. Here’s everything we know so far about the film, from the release date to the cast and plot.
Characters in the Third season of the PEN15 Television Series are Expected to be Confirmed Soon
- Maya Erskine portrays Maya Ishii-Peters in the film.
- Anna Konkle portrays the character of Anna Kone.
- Mutsuko Erskine is the actress that portrays Yuki Ishii-Peters.
- Richard Karn is the actor who portrays Fred Peters.
- Taylor Nichols is the actor that portrays Curtis Kone.
- Kathy Kone is played by Melora Walters in the television series.
- Sam Zablowski is played by Taj Cross in this film.
- Dallas Liu is the actor who portrays Shuji Ishii-Peters.
- Dylan Gage is the actor who portrays Gabe Leib.
- Sami Rappoport portrays the character of Becca.
- Anna Pniowsky portrays Heather Taylor in this episode.
- Brandon Keener is the actor who portrays Mr. O.
- Allius Barnes is the actor that portrays Evan.
- Marion Van Cuyck is the actress that portrays Terra Newback.
- Brady Allen is the actor who portrays Brendan Tooler.
- Jill Basey is the actress that portrays Ms. Bell.
- Lincoln Jolly is the actor who portrays Alex.
- Ivan Mallon is the actor that portrays Ian Walsh.
- Connie M. is played by Hannah Mae in the film.
- Tony Espinosa portrays Jafeer in the film.
- Jessica Pressley is the actress that portrays Jessica Abrams.
- David Bowe is the actor that portrays Albert.
- Diane Delano is the actress who portrays Jan.
- Dustin is played by Isaac Edwards in this episode.
- Jennifer Steadman portrays Suze in the film.
- Carmina Garay is the actress that portrays Jenna.
- Brekkan Spens is the actor that portrays Ben Field.
- Bernadette Guckin portrays Mrs. Tooler in this episode.
- Mr. Wyzell is portrayed by Tim Russ in the film.
- Jonah Beres is the actor that portrays Brandt.
- Nathaniel Matulessya is the actor that portrays Skyler.
- Katie Silverman is the actress that portrays Stevie.
The Plot of PEN15 is as Follows
PEN15 has thoughtfully and successfully tackled a variety of subjects that we can all remember suffering with as 13-year-olds, ranging from unrequited romances to anxieties about popularity and arguments among friends, among other things. As long as the characters are still in 7th grade, there will undoubtedly be more material to cover in the future. At the conclusion of Season 2’s first half, both friends were in serious jeopardy. Maya was in a state of shock after Gabe (Dylan Gage), her co-star in a school play, ended his relationship with her. As a result of her parent’s divorce, Anna must choose which of her parents she will live with following the divorce.
During an interview with Harper’s Bazaar, Erskine and Konkle discussed what they expect to happen in the second half of season 2, suggesting that their characters will be subjected to new scenarios. “They’re going through yet another series of firsts,” Konkle explained further. There were a spate of firsts during the debut season. This seven-episode run is the payback for all of the firsts in the series’ history. It’s as though they’re trying to figure out who they are. I’m not sure what this is. Is this the beginning of my adolescence? ‘Do I look like a child?’ It’s as if the following leg is thinking to itself “OK, I’m a teenager.” Here are a few of my first attempts. ‘I’m ready to take anything at this point.'”
Release Date for Pen15 Season 3: When Will it be Broadcast?
The second season of Pen15 premiered on the streaming network Hulu on September 18, 2020, and will run for a total of 15 episodes. It consists of only seven episodes, each of which lasts between 27 and 29 minutes. Season 2 of the show was only broadcasted in its entirety by the producers. The rest of them will be available for viewing in early 2021.
Maya and Anna will be taking their father’s family on a trip to Florida for the eighth episode of season 2, titled “Jacuzzi.” This will be an animated episode in which we will see them interact with their father. “While on vacation with Curtis, Anna and Maya are exposed to new and severe fears,” according to a Hulu overview of the show. Despite their best efforts, the girls’ self-doubt becomes impossible to ignore as a magical turn occurs.
After only two seasons, Hulu’s PEN15 will be coming to a stop on the streaming service. Hulu has announced that Pen 15 Season 2, which aired its final batch of episodes on December 3, will now be the show’s final season, according to a Hulu representative.
Insiders informed The Hollywood Reporter that Konkle and Erskine had been working on the project that would eventually become PEN15 for nearly a decade and that they were willing to take a break from it. In addition, they recently had their first children: Konkle’s daughter, Essie Wunderle Anfanger, was born in early 2021, while Erskine’s son, Leon Frederick, was born in May.
It does not necessarily imply that Maya and Anna’s journey has come to an end; according to other reports, Hulu is highly interested in producing additional seasons of PEN15 if Erskine and Konkle ever decide to return to the plot. PEN15 is now streaming on Hulu. However, for the time being, it is preferable to put the adolescent anguish of middle school behind and return to the natural discomfort of maturity.